Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Crime & Security

Suspect dead after opening fire near White House security checkpoint, Secret Service says

WASHINGTON — A man carrying a firearm was shot and killed by U.S. Secret Service officers after opening fire near a security checkpoint close to the White House on Saturday evening, according to federal authorities. The incident triggered a large-scale emergency response and renewed concerns over recent security threats around President Donald Trump.

The shooting occurred shortly after 6 p.m. near the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, just outside the White House complex. Officials said the suspect approached a checkpoint, removed a weapon from a bag, and began firing toward officers stationed in the area.

Secret Service personnel immediately returned fire, striking the suspect. He was transported to a nearby hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

Law enforcement officials identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Investigators are continuing to examine the circumstances surrounding the attack and the suspect’s motives.

Authorities revealed that Best had a previous encounter with White House security in 2025. Court records show he was arrested after allegedly attempting to breach another checkpoint without authorization. During that incident, he reportedly ignored officers’ commands and made unusual statements before being detained. A court later issued a stay-away order barring him from approaching the area.

Saturday’s violence also left one bystander injured. Officials said it remains unclear whether the individual was struck by bullets fired by the suspect or by return fire from officers during the exchange.

The Secret Service confirmed that none of its personnel were injured during the confrontation. President Donald Trump, who was inside the White House at the time of the shooting, was not harmed or directly affected by the incident.

The area surrounding the White House was quickly locked down as police and federal agents secured the scene. Streets were closed, emergency vehicles arrived within minutes, and investigators marked multiple pieces of evidence scattered across nearby sidewalks.

Journalists working inside the White House complex reported hearing several rounds of gunfire before being instructed to shelter inside the press briefing room. Videos shared on social media by reporters captured moments of panic as shots rang out near the media tents along the White House driveway.

The latest incident marks the third shooting-related security scare involving the vicinity of President Trump in recent weeks. In April, a man allegedly attempted to attack the president during the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner at a Washington hotel. Earlier this month, another armed confrontation near the Washington Monument resulted in injuries to a teenage bystander.

Federal investigators, including personnel from the FBI, responded to Saturday’s shooting and are expected to release further updates as the investigation continues.

The scene of the attack is also located near the site of a deadly ambush last year involving members of the West Virginia National Guard, adding to growing security concerns in central Washington.

Authorities have not yet disclosed whether the suspect acted alone or if additional threats were identified.

You May Also Like

Crime & Safety

A tragic emergency response in rural New Mexico turned into a hazardous situation after three people died and multiple first responders became ill following...

Courts & Legal Affairs

U.S. President Donald Trump has suggested he may finally release his tax returns after years of resisting public disclosure, following a major legal settlement...

Covid-19 News

BETHESDA, Md. (AP) — President Donald Trump staged a dramatic return to the White House Monday night after leaving the military hospital where he...

Copyright © 2023 Newsworthy News | Global | Political | Local | All News | Website By: Top Search SEO